Let me get proper to the purpose; you don’t want a giant backyard to develop extra meals. Even small house gardeners can enhance yield by pondering creatively within the backyard. That will help you up your backyard sport, we’ve teamed up with Lee Valley, the go-to retailer for American and Canadian gardeners, to indicate you three artistic methods to develop extra meals.
Deck and patio gardeners will love the Vegepod Container Garden, a well-designed system that enables intensive gardening in very small areas. This on the spot backyard is the proper approach for gardeners, together with new meals gardeners and households, to develop a few of their very own meals. It measures 39-inches sq. and 10-inches excessive, permitting loads of house to your favourite veggies, herbs, and edible flowers.
My Vegepod took about 30 minutes to place collectively and was then positioned on my sunny again deck. I stuffed it with a mix of potting soil and compost to make sure it is going to be well-draining, however additionally retain moisture. Then got here the enjoyable half – planting! I selected compact styles of peppers and eggplant, in addition to an assortment of salad greens, herbs, and bee-friendly flowers.
There may be an optional 18-inch tall steel stand that can be utilized to lift the Vegepod to a top of 31 inches, decreasing the necessity to bend, kneel, or stoop.
5 Superior options of the Vegepod:
- Cut back watering! It has a eight.5 gallon (32 litre) water reservoir that wicks moisture up into the soil when wanted. It could cut back watering time by as much as 80%.
- Pest management! It comes with a cool hinged prime that may be lined with fitted mesh (included) that may enable solar and water to achieve your crops however exclude all kinds of pests.
- Multi-purpose use! The detachable prime additionally has a misting line that may be hooked as much as a hose for straightforward watering. Excellent for beginning seedlings and even taking cuttings of herbaceous herbs and perennials.
- Fall & winter harvesting! As a year-round vegetable gardener, I really like that I can use the Vegepod as an on the spot chilly body after I cowl the highest with the (included) 12 mil thick PVC frost cowl. It should take my deck backyard from summer time into fall and early winter.
- Weed-free! Through the use of potting soil and aged compost, you management the soil high quality and might eradicate the necessity to weed.
A DIY Lettuce Tower:
Rising greens vertically in a straightforward option to develop extra meals in much less house. This vertical lettuce tower was created in an hour utilizing a reasonable laundry bin, some food-safe plastic, potting soil, and lettuce seedlings.
- A wire laundry bin, with holes not less than 2 inches throughout. This one price $9.99 at a reduction house decor retailer.
- A food-safe plastic sheet or bag
- Potting soil, the quantity will rely upon the scale of your laundry bin
- Lettuce seedlings (I additionally added some loose-leaf Chinese language cabbage and pansies)
6 Steps to creating a lettuce tower:
Step 1 – Line the laundry bin with the plastic sheet or bag, poking holes within the backside for drainage.
Step 2 – Fill the bin with pre-moistened potting soil, I used Professional-Combine.
Step three – Utilizing a pointy knife, lower X’s into the plastic. That is the place you’ll place the lettuce seedlings.
Step four – Maintain a lettuce seeding by the rootball and push it via the plastic and into the potting soil. Be sure you have good contact with the soil, utilizing your fingers to agency the soil across the rootball as a lot as doable. Repeat across the total laundry bin.
Step 5 – Plant a number of lettuce seedlings and a few edible flowers on the prime of the tower.
Step 6 – Water deeply with a mild stream of water.
Proceed to water your lettuce tower recurrently. For very tall towers, a perforated PVC pipe will be positioned in the center of the bin for straightforward watering. Simply be sure you insert it earlier than you add the soil, holding the pipe in place till the bin is crammed with the planting medium.
Bean or Cucumber Tunnels:
Rising greens vertically is sensible gardening. Not solely does it can help you develop extra meals in much less house, however it additionally helps forestall insect and illness issues, and provides magnificence to the backyard. After I redesigned my vegetable backyard, I made positive to seek out house for not less than three tunnels between the raised beds.
I made the tunnels from easy sheets of eight foot lengthy by four foot huge concrete bolstered mesh panels. I used two panels per tunnel, joined on the prime with zip ties. To make sure they’d be sturdy, the underside of every panel was secured to the raised mattress with a strip of wooden.
For extra particulars on the constructing of my tunnels, please try my latest publish, Vertical Vegetable Gardening.
A giant thanks to Lee Valley for sponsoring this publish. The Vegepod is out there at Lee Valley shops throughout Canada, in addition to on the Lee Valley website in each the US and Canada. To order a free Lee Valley catalog, or discover your closest retailer, click here.
Do you’ve got any artistic methods to develop extra meals in your backyard?